What you Need to Know About Tornado and Storm Season
Today officially marks the beginning of Tornado and storm season in Michigan. Make sure your family is prepared!
TORNADO WATCH: is issued to warn people of the possibility of a tornado in your area.
TORNADO WARNING: Is issued when an actual tornado has been spotted.
Important Fact: Tornadoes are not always visible and can be hidden in low hanging clouds and heavy rain.
If you are at home when a tornado hits you should take shelter in the basement. If you do not have a basement you should move to the center part of the house, in the smallest room under heavy furniture.
If you are driving or live in a mobile home you should get out of the car or leave your home and take shelter in the nearest ditch or low area.
If your home or business is affected by a tornado SERVPRO of Fenton specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
We can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 810-714-6600
WEA Cell Phone Alerts.... Keep Them On!
It has been a crazy and extremely cold winter but soon enough the snow will melt and the rain will come. It is so important that this time of year you have your WEA alerts active on your phone.
This alert system has been used more than 40,000 times to warn about incoming storms and local Amber Alerts.
How it works is the system monitors weather reports all over the country then reviews which cell phone towers will be affected and sends out an alert to any capable smart phone in that area.
With the help of SERVPRO you can always restore or replace your home, business and personal items but you cannot replace a loved one! Keep your alerts active this stormy season and if your home or business is effected give SERVPRO of Fenton a call day or night.
What happens after your business is affected by water?
It is never a good time to have your business affected by flooding or water damage but it can happen at any time.
So what should you do first?
- First call a plumber. The restoration process cannot begin until the water stops and the problem is fixed.
- Second call your insurance company. Report the incident and get a claim reference number. Your insurance company will assign an insurance adjuster. This person will go onsite, asses everything and determine how much money the insurance company should pay.
- Third and most important, call SERVPRO of Fenton. A certified professional will come out and evaluate everything that was affected. They will then determine how much work needs to be done, answer any questions or concerns you may have, set up a plan of action and work with your insurance company to make sure you are being covered for everything that was affected.
For a stress free claims process, SERVPRO can help manage the insurance paperwork and process.
SERVPRO of Fenton
Call us 24/7, 365 days of the year
With the high winds and constant snow fall it is so important to know how to properly own and operate a generator for your home.
- The first and most important thing to remember when using a generator is to keep it out of your home! Generators should never be used in your garage or basement and should be kept 20 feet away from your doors and windows. The exhaust from a generator contains a high amount of carbon monoxide, a poisonous and odorless gas that can kill a person in a matter of minutes.
- Second, keep your generator dry. Operate it on a dry surface that provides coverage and do not touch your generator with wet hands.
- Third, plug appliances directly into the generator or make sure that you are using heavy duty extension cords that have no visible tears or loose wiring.
What is Causing that Smell in your Home?
Did you know that it doesn't take a disaster to call SERVPRO? We specialize in all areas of cleaning your home, even odor removal.
Musty and Moldy?
if you smell a moldy odor, chances are you probably have mold. You should look for water leaks and damp items to find the source. It may be as simple as needing better ventilation, especially in your basement or bathroom. If the problem is bigger than you can handle, we have you covered with highly trained mold remediation technicians.
Gas leaks or problems with your plumbing are usually the culprit. You should check to see if the smell is coming form your drains when you turn on the water. If so it may be as simple as needing a new P-trap on your floor drain or it could be much more complicated. SERVPRO can send out a technician who can find the source of the problem and correct it.
A gas leak is much more dangerous and you should call 911 right away.
If you have pets, chances are they will leave behind a smell once in a while. Especially if we forget to clean out the liter box. If you do not have pets and you still smell a sickly animal smell, chances are you have a dead animal or insect nest in your plumbing or duct system. Either way SERVPRO of Fenton can help by identifying the problem and eliminating it.
If you have a smell in your home or business that you just cant shake, give SERVPRO of Fenton a call today!
You can trust SERVPRO of Fenton!
Here are a few of the many reasons why...
24-Hour Emergency Services
Our staff is ready and available for your call day or night and during all holidays.
SERVPRO provides clear and detailed estimates so their is no unwanted surprises.
When you call, a trained, uniformed SERVPRO professional will arrive with the proper tools needed to help protect your home or business and answer any questions or concerns you have.
We understand how important your home or business is to you so we will be happy to provide several references to help you feel confident that SERVPRO is right for you.
Every 18 Seconds a Fire Occurs in the U.S.!
only one matters to you!
What does SERVPRO of Fenton do for you when your home and family are affected?
1. Within one hour a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will call to arrange for service.
2. Within 4 short hours a professional will arrive on-site prepared to begin emergency mitigation services, if so needed.
3. A Project Manager of SERVPRO will review your home with you and address any questions or concerns.
4. The SERVPRO Project Manager will then go through your home starting from the fire and working his way outward to see what is restorable or salvageable.
5. Next SERVPRO will present to you and your insurance adjuster a plan of action, also known as a "Scope of Work".
6. Your home will be cleaned and restored by SERVPRO Franchise Professionals.
7. After all of the work is completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction
What to do to Protect your Home Before a Snow Storm Hits
Once again all of Michigan has a winter storm advisory!
Here are some quick tips to protect your home
keep your pipes warm- insulate pipes in the cold parts of your home and leave cabinets open to allow warm air to reach the pipes
Check your roof- Large amounts of packed snow can cause your roof to collapse so be on the lookout
Carbon-monoxide detectors- Poor ventilation is a huge risk factor in the winter months. Keeping a detector on each floor of your house can help keep your family safe
Generator- A generator can be pricy but will keep you warm in the case of a power outage and save you money by protecting your pipes from freezing
Emergency kits- Incase of a power outage be sure to have flashlights, candles, battery powered radio and extra batteries on hand
As always SERVPRO of Fenton is here to help with highly trained technicians who are ready for your call should your home or business be affected this winter.
SERVPRO vs Polar Vortex
SERVPRO workers inside Sawyer Jewelers in Fenton
On Thursday January 31st freezing temperatures and icy winds came through Genesee county with a vengeance, leaving several homes and businesses with broken pipes and water damage. The Corner Stone building in downtown Fenton was one of the many buildings affected. A water main break on the third floor caused water to disperse all the way down to two local businesses, Sawyer Jewelers and Salon 416. Local SERVPRO owner Josh Ingersol was onsite within minutes with a full crew who worked around the clock to dry out the affected areas and prevent further damage. Click here to read the complete article.
SERVPRO of Fenton County is a big part of our community and on call 24/7 for when the unthinkable happens.
We are available day or night at 810-714-6600
Thanksgiving Fire Safety for Fenton Homeowners!
Fire damage to a kitchen from an unattended stovetop meal in Linden, Michigan
Thanksgiving is a time to relax and celebrate with family, but we wanted to take a moment to remind everyone to exercise caution while preparing Thanksgiving dinner. Statistically, fire departments respond to more residential fire calls on Thanksgiving day than any other day of the year.
Every year, 2,100 residential structures catch fire on Thanksgiving, resulting in 10 deaths, 50 serious injuries, and $28 million dollars in damage. Here are some simple steps that you can take to avoid disaster on your day of relaxation and celebration:
- Don’t leave food unattended while cooking
- Check all smoke detectors before beginning Thanksgiving dinner preparation
- Keep children and pets away from the kitchen
- Keep the kitchen floors unobstructed to avoid tripping
- Don’t use any electrical appliances that have damaged or severed cords (use this as an opportunity to treat yourself to some new kitchen toys!)
- Avoid using deep fryers (even in the back yard, the NFPA discourages ALL use of fryers)
As always, our crews are on call 24/7 365 days of the year, should disaster strike. Please take note of the steps above to protect your home and your family! Relax, kick back, enjoy some football, and give thanks!
On this Thanksgiving, we feel especially thankful for all of YOU, our loyal clients! Thank you for helping to make SERVPRO of Fenton your local choice for all your restoration needs!