Recent Storm Damage Posts
What to do to Protect your Home Before a Snow Storm Hits
Once again all of Michigan has a winter storm advisory!
Here are some quick tips to protect your home
keep your pipes warm- insulate pipes in the cold parts of your home and leave cabinets open to allow warm air to reach the pipes
Check your roof- Large amounts of packed snow can cause your roof to collapse so be on the lookout
Carbon-monoxide detectors- Poor ventilation is a huge risk factor in the winter months. Keeping a detector on each floor of your house can help keep your family safe
Generator- A generator can be pricy but will keep you warm in the case of a power outage and save you money by protecting your pipes from freezing
Emergency kits- Incase of a power outage be sure to have flashlights, candles, battery powered radio and extra batteries on hand
As always SERVPRO of Fenton is here to help with highly trained technicians who are ready for your call should your home or business be affected this winter.
Lightning Safety Tips
Although lightning can strike anytime, the chance for lightning increases in the summer months. Stay safe with these basic tips:
- Have a safety plan, and cancel or postpone outdoor activities if thunderstorms are expected.
- If you do get caught outside, avoid high ground, open spaces, and all metal objects (this includes electric wires, fences, etc). Seek shelter in a substantial building, or a fully enclosed vehicle.
- If you are indoors, stay away from doors and windows. Do not use the telephone, and consider unplugging computers, power tools, and television sets. Lighting may strike exterior electric or phone lines, and send jolts of electricity to inside equipment.
If a storm has damaged your house and you need help cleaning or repairing the interior or exterior of your home, don't hesitate to give us a call. You can reach SERVPRO of Fenton 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 810-714-6600.
Storm Damage Services SERVPRO of Fenton Offers
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Fenton understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
If You Have Questions or Need Help,
Call Us Today (810-714-6600)
SERVPRO of Fenton specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. They pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. They utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Fenton can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, they will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage. For additional information, check out Contents Claim Inventory Service.
SERVPRO of Fenton- Faster to Storm Damaged Homes
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Fenton provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays. You can expect an immediate response time, day or night.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 - (810)-732-3298
Faster to Any Size Emergency
In many cleaning and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. With over 1,700 U.S. and Canadian Franchise locations, SERVPRO is strategically positioned to be faster to any size emergency. An immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water is particularly invasive, quickly spreading throughout your property and being absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, etc. SERVPRO of Fenton arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants
Cell Phone Storm Alerts
Technology has come a long way! The only way you used be able to receive Emergency information was by radio or television, but there is a better way and that is your cell phone.
Everyone has a cell phone, right? In this day and age, we couldn’t imagine anyone not owning a cell phone; it’s practically unheard of. More people own a cell phone than a car or a TV, and could you blame them. You can watch TV or catch a ride from your phone in minutes. In 2002, only 62% of U.S. adults possessed a cell phone, and that percentage increased to 95% of Americans in 2016. Today, cell phones are used for more than just to make calls. Cell phone capabilities aren’t what they were 10 or even 5 years ago. New technology has helped make our cell phone do practically anything, from GPS services to video chat, to web surfing, and to virtual reality.
Now knowing this, what is the best and quickest way to notify Americans in case of a major emergency? I’d say through our cell phones! You can be warned of upcoming dangers by emergency alerts from anywhere, while choosing how you’d like to receive them from your cell phone. The ability to be warned of oncoming dangers at a moment’s notice can provide you with a jump-start to safety. Here are 5 different ways to set up your emergency alerts from you cell phone.
- National updates
Receive updates regarding National Security from Homeland Security, the latest outbreaks from CDC, and computer threats from US-CERT. These notifications are issued through WEA- Wireless Emergency Alerts. If you have ever received an Amber Alert it’s coming from the WEA, which is a default setting in most cell phones.
- Statewide activity updates
Do a Google search for a Public Warning System for your state. This will allow you to customize your alerts specifically to your state.
- Weather apps for smart phones and tablets
You can receive custom weather alerts from your state or city while customizing the level of warning you want to receive. Apple users can download NOAA Radar Pro and android users can download the app Pro Weather Alert. These apps can range from $2- $3, and is worth every penny to keep you and your family notified of weather emergencies and dangers.
The FEMA text message program informs you of safety tips for specific disaster types, and allows you to search for open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Apple devices-text APPLE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Android devices-text ANDROID to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Blackberry devices-text BLACKBERRY to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Survivehive Alert Center
For those of you that are like me and hate cluttering up your email and social media, this is the resource for you. Stay up to date with the latest disaster/emergency, terrorism, disease outbreak, significant earthquake, and severe weather alerts all from one site.
Remember to call SERVPRO of Fenton in the event of a storm (810-732-3298)
When Storms or Floods hit Fenton, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of Fenton specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Fenton, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today